Eric Zeman / Android Authority
Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE updates hub. Here you’ll find the latest information on updates to Samsung’s latest “fan edition” phone. We’ll detail the current software versions for the device and alert you if there’s a new update rolling out. Samsung usually pushes out One UI updates regularly, but availability may be affected by variant, carrier, and region.
The Galaxy S21 FE launched with Android 12 and Samsung’s One UI 4 skin on top. Samsung will offer four major Android OS updates to the device. The company also guarantees five years of security updates for this phone.
- Current stable version: Android 13
- When will the Galaxy S21 FE get Android 14? December 2023 (Estimated)
Latest Samsung Galaxy S21 FE updates
November 21, 2022: Initially said to be arriving before the end of November, One UI 5 is finally making its way to the Galaxy S21 FE. According to SamMobile, the firmware version G990BXXU2DVK3 is available for the international Galaxy S21 FE with the model number SM-G990B. The update brings multitasking gestures, a new way to check background app activity, a new lock screen, and more.
To check if an update is available, head to Settings > Software updates on your device.
- August 16, 2022: Amid the Android 13 update hype, Samsung has dropped the latest security patch for the Galaxy S21 FE (via SamMobile). August 2022’s patch includes firmware version G990USQU3CVG1 and is rolling out to users in the US on T-Mobile’s network. The update should roll out to other variants and carriers in the coming weeks. There aren’t any major advancements to note, but there are plenty of security fixes to the likes of Dex and Samsung Knox.
- June 15, 2022: Samsung introduced the June 2022 Android security patch to the Galaxy S21 FE (via SamMobile). The update was initially made available in Thailand and rolled out to other markets in the following days. The firmware is version G990EXXU2CVF1 and included some stability fixes along with security enhancements.
- April 13, 2022: Samsung started rolling out the April 2022 Android security patch to the “Fan Edition” model of the Galaxy S21 series (per Droid-Life). The update appears to be mostly centered on the patch, though, with no other new features known at the moment. This makes sense considering March’s update brought One UI 4.1, so this one is a bit leaner.
- March 22, 2022: Samsung has started rolling out the One UI 4.1 update to the Galaxy S21 FE in Asia, Europe, and the US. The latest update also brings the March 2022 security patch to the phone. According to SamMobile, the Snapdragon version of the Galaxy S21 FE in Europe is getting the new update with firmware version G990BXXU1CVC3. In Asia, the Exynos 2100 variant of the phone has started getting the update with firmware version G990EXXU1CVC5.
- March 2, 2022: Samsung started rolling out the February security patch to the Galaxy S21 FE. According to SamMobile, the software carried firmware version G990BXXS1BVB3 and fixed over 60 privacy and security-related vulnerabilities.
- January 17, 2022: Samsung rolled out the first official update to the Galaxy S21 FE in the US (h/t SamMobile). The firmware version, numbered G990U1UEU2BUL8, included the January 2022 security package and fixes for more than 60 pressing issues.
If you’ve spotted an update that we haven’t, tip us! Are you looking for another update? Be sure to visit our Android 12 update tracker.