Many college students, or even those who already passed college or people of every age, prefer to watch TV shows based on college life. However, the show option depends on your choice. Some audiences prefer movies with meanings whereas some prefer those with drama and romance. The best part is that you can choose any kind of college television show as there are plenty of options available out there.
Not every show is for entertainment purposes. Some of the shows aim to teach some valuable lessons to the audience.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of college life based on popular TV shows and the ten best-handpicked collections.
So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Importance of Show About College
● Presents Diversity: If we see different TV shows about college, we can see diversity. Different characters portray different individuals from different parts of the globe. Some are Asian, some are Americans, some are Europeans, etc. A student who is yet to join college will get a clear idea that they’ll have friends of all types.
● College Essays: To get into college life, there is a whole selection process. Most of the renowned colleges ask for essays. These movies show you how students prepare for their essays using top essay writing services. Even after that, to complete your assignments on time, you can use these services as help for college assignment help.
● Relatability: A lot of students in college look for relatability in some or other means. These shows about college provide students with some sort of relatability so they are not left behind by any means.
● Escapism: A lot of us watch movies and TV shows in the form of escapism from our day-to-day lives. The same is the case with college movies. It’s not only the escapism for college life students but people in general.
● Entertainment: Movies and shows are all about entertainment. We can get lessons, drama, romance, tragedy, bullying, self-love, music, etc through college life show.
● Promotion of Education: All the college life show doesn’t only discuss romance and tragedy, some of them especially discuss education in general. They are the things you will learn when you choose a certain major.
● Academic Life Portrays: Life at college is portrayed through college TV shows. One can learn what things to do, what things to expect, and live life once again through movies and more.
Best Portrayals of College Life in Popular TV Shows
If you go through the web, you’ll find hundreds and thousands of college life popular TV shows to get started with. To make it easier for you we have tested and selected some of the best movies.
Let’s get started!
1. How to Get Away with Murder
How to Get Away with Murder is a legal thriller and mystery movie whose final episode was out on 14 May 2020. It was created by Peter Nowalk. In this movie, Annalise Keating is a lawyer who teaches a class from which she selects the most brilliant students to assist her in her case. Later, she finds her whole life entangled with the four learners of her.
The movie is rated 88% by Rotten Tomatoes. This show is not based on real stories, but it serves melodrama and thrill with a lot of twists.
Felicity is a college drama by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves. Its first episode was released way back on 24 September 1998 and its last episode was released on 22nd May 2002. There are a total of four seasons of this show.
This show mostly speaks about the college life experience of Felicity Porter when she joined a new university. As per a Google user review, 79% of viewers liked this TV show.
Felicity was one of Time magazine’s “All-Time 100 Best TV Shows.” Moreover, it was also named “Best School Show of All Time”.
Greek is a comedy-drama made by Patrick Sean Smith. Its first episode came out on 9th July 2007 and the last episode came out on 7th March 2011. There are a total of four seasons of this amazing TV show about college.
The storyline begins when the freshman Rusty Cartwright joins his college and decides to be famous as he’s no longer willing to be a boring geek in his high school. Then, he decides to pledge the entire fraternity with his changes.
This American comedy-drama television drama aired on ABC Family. This series discusses the life of students of fictitious Cyprus-Rhodes University (CRU), located in Ohio.
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an American supernatural drama television series that was written and directed by Joss Whedon. It always received critical and popular acclaim and reached between four to six million viewers on the airings original time.
As per the Google users, 85% audience liked this TV show. Its genre includes supernatural, horror, teen drama, comedy-drama, action; philosophical, etc. This college life TV show has seven seasons and 144 episodes.
The series premiered on March 10, 1997, on The WB and concluded on May 20, 2003, on UPN.
5. A Different World
A Different World is a sitcom by executive producers Debbie Allen and Tom Werner. Its first episode was released on 24th September 1987 and the last episode was released on 9th July 1993. As per the Google users, 90% audience liked this show.
It aired for six seasons. This show covered social and political topics that seemed to be ahead of its time. So, as a result, it was liked by a wide range of audiences across the globe.
The college life-based show was one of the first television programs that openly explored and shared contentious subjects like HIV/AIDS, date rape, apartheid, and the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1990s.
Undeclared is an American sitcom created by Judd Apatow. After Judd Apatow wrote many episodes of Freaks and Geeks, he created the semi-sequel Undeclared. It was aired on Fox. In 2012, it was listed as the best 16 in the “25 Best Full TV Shows from the Past 25 Years” in the Entertainment Weekly. You can watch this show on Prime Video. The storyline revolves around college life, which is shown through the eyes of Steven Karp. He is a freshman who is determined to change and reinvent himself in his new school.
This is the end of our article “10 Best Portrayals of College Life in Popular TV Shows”. We hope this article helped you find one of the best TV shows about college students to get started with.
The movie can be a form of escapism, to learn new things or for entertainment purposes. Some of them even teach important life values and lessons through movies and shows. Studying is just a part of college life, except that you need to learn things, grow, earn, if possible, interact, make friends, try new things and more.
If you think we’ve missed out on any movies or shows, feel free to share it with us in the comments. We wish you all the best to get started with TV shows and movies about college life.